Stettin was an important port on the Baltic Sea. After Hamburg and Bremen, it was the third largest in Germany. Before a canal was built from Berlin to Hamburg, the port of Stettin was the favored port for Berlin. An outer port at Swinemünde, located 45 miles upstream along the Oder River, served Stettin. Other smaller port towns in Pomerania were Greifswald, Stralsund and Kolsberg. These housed fishing fleets and ferry service.
A railroad was built between Berlin and Stettin in 1843. From Stettin it was connected to Stargard in 1846, Köslin in 1858, Stolp in 1869, and Danzig in 1870. In 1863 a line from Stettin to Stralsund was completed.
(Source: Herrick, Linda M. and Wendy K. Uncapher. Pomerania: Atlantic Bridge to Germany, Origins, 2005.)
- Baunur, Wolfram and Siegfried Bufe. Einsenbahnen in Pommern: Ostdeutsche Eisenbahngeschichte, Band 3 (Trains in Pomerania: East German Train History, Volume 3). 1988. ISBN 3-922138-34-9.
- Camann, Eugene W. Uprooted from Prussia: Transplanted in America. New York: Gilcraft Printing Company, 1991. Gives information on how Pommern/Brandenburg emigrants traveled to Hamburg.
- Einsenbahnen in Deutschland, 1835-1885. Historical maps for the German railroads, 1835-1885.
- Der Finowkanal, Bau, Geschichte, Gegenwart. History of the Finow Canal. (In German)
- Fluesse und Kanaele, Die Geschichte der deutschen Wasserstrassen (Rivers and Canals, The History of the German Waterways) by Martin Echkhold (Hrsq.) DSV Verlag Hamburg, 1998. ISBN 3-88412-243-6. (In English)
- Historische Schiffertour / Historic Skipper's Tour: Lively Industrial and Technical History - By Boat on Historic Waterways. (PDF file in German and English)
- Locks on the Finow Canal. Finowkanal Schleusen. The Finow Canal connected the Oder River to the Elbe River, and then to Hamburg. Distance from the Oder River via Finow, Havel canals and Elbe River to Hamburg is about 375 km or 235 miles. (In German and English).
- On the Finow Canal from The Strange Adults, a History of Old Eberswalde by Ulrich Grunmach. A description of life on the Finow Canal. (In English)
- Wumpus´s River Lock World. River locks, boat-lifts, and ship lifts, canals and locks, rivers and locks. Wumpus Fluss-Schleusen Welt. Fluss-Schleusen und Schiffshebewerke.(In English and German)