Kreis Franzburg and Franzburg-Barth
- Franzburg was part of Swedish Vorpommern from 1806, when it was traded to Denmark for Norway in 1814.
- Franzburg was part of Denmark 1814-1815, and then was traded for the Duchy of Lauenburg in 1815.
- Franzburg became a Kreis in 1815, and was part of the administrative district of of Stralsund until 1928.
- On 1 February 1928 Franzburg changed its name to Franzburg-Barth.
- Franzburg-Barth was part of the administrative district of Stralsund from 1928-1932.
- Franzburg-Barth was part of the administrative district of Stettin from 1932-1945.
- Kreiz Franzburg-Barth on the Baltic Sea had four major towns: Barth, Damgarten, Franzburg and Richtenberg.
- Barth used to belong to the island of Rügen and it lies on a lagoon.
- During World War II, Barth was the site of a prisoner of war camp for captured airmen, and thus was protected from allied bombing.
- Barth has a Vineta museum and festival. Vineta is a legendary city, like Atlantis, that sank into the sea, because of the sinfulness of its inhabitants.
- Damgarten is at the mouth of the Recknitz River forming the border with Mecklenburg. It started out as a fortress built by the princes of Rügen.
- Damgarten merged with the city of Ribnitz in 1950, and calls itself the "Amber Town" because large deposits of amber are found nearby.
- The city of Franzburg was established in 1587 by the Pomeranian Duke Bogislaw XIII. In 1648, it became part of Sweden, and in 1815 became Prussian.
- Richtenberg was first mentioned in 1231 as Kirchdorf. The city was almost completely destroyed by fire in 1728.
- Richtenberg is known for its famous whiskey distilleries that make "Richtenberger Korn."
- This county is the most western part of Pomerania and is still a part of Germany.
- Schubert, Franz and Michael Reimer. Quellen und Schriften zur Bevölkerungsgeschichte Norddeutschlands / Vorpommern / 1 2,a Bd. 2, Kreis Franzburg, Barth ; Lfg. a, Barth. Kitzingen: Selbstverl., 1999.
- Stadtarchiv Barth. City archive of Barth. (In German)
|Heimatkreisausschuß (HKA) Vorsitzender (Chair)
|Heimatkreisbearbeiter (HKB) (Manager or Secretary)
|Pommerscher Greif Ansprechpartner (Contact)
18320 Ahrenshagen, Germany